These photographs were taken during a home inspection by my company, Magpie Property Inspections, during and home inspection in Denver Colorado. As you can see, live electrical wiring and outlets are improperly installed and exposed to moisture which presents a serious safety and fire hazard. They are in Contact with the ground; one was partially buried. Neither responded when tested to see if the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter outlets were functional which is a must for safe operation.
Exterior electrical outlets should be installed in weather proof approved cases with covers that can be closed and placed well above grade. In this case, the outlets are partially buried and moisture has penetrated the casing which could cause a shock to anyone in contact with the outlet or moisture adjacent to the outlet. A qualified electrician should install approved GFCI outlets appropriately to make these units safe for outdoor use.