This photo was taken during a home inspection by my company, Magpie Property Inspections in Parker Colorado. The door between the house and garage has had its fire protection breached because the owner installed a pet door. An opening like this can allow fumes given off by vehicles, garden equipment motors or other harmful vapors from the garage to enter the home. It can also allow smoke and fire to readily enter the living area should one occur in the garage. This should not be done as it creates a potential safety hazard.
Current building standards require the following: “Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 13/8 inches in thickness, solid or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 13/8 inches thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors, equipped with a self-closing device.”
By creating an opening like this, this standard is violated. We recommending making sure the door to the garage is solid, meets these requirements and fits and locks completely.